Explained: Implementation of an ERP System
Understanding the implementation process, steps followed and the importance of proper testing.
Implementation is a process, not an incident
The implementation of an ERP system can be a daunting and often misunderstood process. Preferred Solutions have been implementing software since 2003 and have loads of experience to do it right the first time.
There must be an understanding that implementation is a process, not an incident! It is not a light-switch that is clicked and suddenly everything is working perfectly, and we all live happily ever after… It is a process that takes place over time. However, with skill, experience, patience, time, effort and combined hard teamwork, it is a work-smart process that can be expedited into a successful implementation as soon as possible!
Over time, we as Preferred Solutions, have learned the truth of thesewords. For this reason, we have refined our implementation process according to our customers’ needs.
Our implementations are based on the following principles:
- We build relationships between our Team and your Team
- We listen sincerely and intently and learn from the users too
- We ask questions and commend and validate users for what they have already done in the change process
- We facilitate their learning by empowering them to make sense of it holistically
- We take them away from silo-syndrome by showing them where they fit into the helicopter-vision of the company
- We skilfully handle perceptions with empathy and continue building relationships, stronger and stronger over time
- The only constant in life is change: Change is either positive or negative depending on how it is embraced. We don’t take anything for granted and prove the effectiveness and efficiency of the new solution.
Benefits of implementing the Preferred Solutions way:
- Visibility: There is documentation available at every phase which allows for better understanding & defining of deliverables
- Error spotting: Can find design errors early, which saves time during implementation
- Cost estimations and management: Can estimate and manage costs more easily
- Resource allocation and management: Can allocate and manage resources reliably
- Allows us to implement effectively using structured procedures from the requirement and analysis stages.
- Allows us to create an accurate and clear project timeframe per stage.
- Allows us to document business processes for initial and further testing in the project.
- Allows the client to review the project in stages and forecast the holistic end result.
- Accommodates for the necessary changes prior to the next stage.
We do an ordinary implementation in an extraordinarily successful manner:
- By keeping our human touch on all that we do
- By being available whenever you need us
- By keeping things simple and easy to understand
- By being structured and effective and
- By keeping our focus on the vision, we have been given by you!
We do our implementations in the following way:
- Identify the objectives
- Establish Critical success factors which can be measured at the end of the project
- Determine resources and timelines
- Define the project plan
2. Scoping & Client Requirements
- Scoping workshops to map business processes to software functionalities
- Process flows to formalise procedures
- Set out Report mapping and metrics
- Forms design mapping to help build the company brand
3. Database Build
- Master files and static data
- Take on balances
- List upon list of lists of ‘to dos’
- Reports for checking data
4. Pilot Testing
- Integration testing to confirm sub ledgers balance to the general ledger
- Stress testing to fine tune the environment
- User procedure testing to ensure buy in
- Take on balance testing
5. User Training
- Software Modular training
- Report Writing
- Take on balances
- Forms design
- Month end reconciliation
6. Go live & ongoing support
- Go live hand holding done onsite
- Helpdesk & telephonic support
- Consultant availability
- Service level agreements
- Internal customer support team
7. Project Closure
- Project review
- Budget and timing review
- Ensure critical requirements have been achieved
- Hand over to client’s internal support team